Considered by many as a kind of minor genre in wedding photography and social reportage there is also room to get out of the canons marked and offer quality jobs. Cofounder with Antonio Trego and Fatima Rancho of Red Marco, Victor Marti is a clear example. Recognized as one of the ten best in the world in this specialty by the Wedding Photojournalist Association (extensible distinction to other photographers who make up this Spanish study), photojournalistic approach to his work is a statement of intent. No one better than him to put on the table a small Decalogue of advice for those arising face a report of this kind.
1. A wedding is a social event with more cameras per square meter, so no choice but to surprise boyfriends when they see our photos. From makeup to the bride dancing couple, fieldwork can take us between 10 and 12 hours, and if what we are doing not passionate about, be unable to transmit anything new.
2. Contact with the bride and groom before the wedding is essential. Although it is quite possible that the couple has already reviewed our previous work -that must have a web in a position, of course, meet our style, we must create a climate of confidence so that, come the day, nobody feels strange. It in that previous encounter when the photographic part of the wedding is planned to avoid has to improvise during the interview.
3. If we are convinced and at ease with the type of photography you do, try to convey this idea to the couple. There is nothing worse than imposing the kind of photos you should make partner. Mark and defend our own style is the only way to differentiate ourselves from others.
4. Although it may sound a worn cliché, which are dedicated to this we have seen over many years is usually the bride who shows more interest in the photographic reportage. Therefore, it is not more feminine provide some insight into the story, trying to capture the story from the point of view of it.
5. The technique is basic, but sometimes we obsessed to the point of getting lost many times. If we consider work as wedding photojournalists, we cannot pass any of these moments. In any case, it goes without saying that it is convenient to work in RAW format: the possibilities of retouching in post-production are enormous.
6. We must seek and be aware of the emotional moments. Often there is a stereotype of photos that the photographer himself is imposed as mandatory, such as the signing of witnesses. However, the time is perfect for pictures of parents complimenting their children. Yes, it is important to warn before the bride and groom and agree with them that will have to sacrifice some other moments that we consider most important.
7. We all know the maxim: photography is light. Unable to lead complex lighting equipment for each scene, we must be very attentive to the possibilities offered by the sunlight during the interview.
8. It is a matter of taste, but to avoid the use of flash in the church or the room in which the wedding (a good way to go unnoticed and capture ambient lighting) is held is essential shoot with wide aperture settings. Obviously, the types of optics that allow it are not cheap, but investing in good targets necessary to pursue this type of photography.
9. You have to practice and prepare the most complicated situations. All photographers have a scene or a type of lighting that always gives us problems. And the wedding day is not the best time to practice or experience, so it is best to perform previous exercises with our camera, rehearsing for those moments.
10. Although not the photos that we like to do, snapshots group (the bride and groom along with the guests) are also very important in the story. Therefore, try to be as creative as possible also with these jacks.